Thursday, June 26, 2008

Hartsville has some real strengths...

And the truth is that we often don't realize how strong a community we have nestled here in the Northeast section of South Carolina.

I make this comment because we had a Selling Hartsville Task Force meeting on Wednesday afternoon and as I looked around the table I was awe struck by those who were giving of their time for this community. The number of people (nearly 30), the quality of their involvement and the enthusiastic spirit is amazing. I am fortunate enough to know of others who work really hard at community building and they would absolutely feel they could conquer the world with the can-do, volunteer spirit that is so often in evidence around Hartsville. Sometimes, we take it for granted that every community has this cadre of people. They do not. Several years ago when Hartsville won the first All-America city designation it was evident the depth and level of caring by community members. While I may be accused of being a modern 'Paul E Anna' (sic) I hope that we realize that the willingness of people to be involved is strength we do not say thank you often enough for in our part of the world.

1 comment:

  1. I used to live in South Carolina. The communities there are great, people are nice to everyone!!!

    ReplyDelete