The fundamental mission of The Byerly Foundation is to help the Hartsville, South Carolina area become one of the best places in the world in which to live. All of the grants approved by the Board must have a direct impact on the immediate Hartsville, SC, community. The Foundation has focused its grant making on
Grant making process begins with Concept Letter
The Foundation's grant making process generally begins with a concept letter of one to three pages. The Foundation funds grants to non-profit 501(C)-3 organizations, schools,
Concept letters are requested because the Foundation Board desires to minimize the investment of time and resources for organizations to request
- Name of organization and stated proof of eligibility
- A description of the project envisioned by the organization
- The outcome(s) that will result from the implementation of the grant project
- The amount of funding being requested from the Foundation
- The total cost of the planned project and the sources of other funding
- The list of officers and board members of the organization
- An explanation of how the project will make Hartsville a stronger community
The concept letters may be sent to The Foundation at P.O. Box 1925, Hartsville, SC 29551 or dropped off at the office at 101 North Second Street. They may also be submitted as attachments to an email message.
Grant making timeline
- The announcement of the grant-making cycle will be in July.
- Concept letters will be accepted through September 16.
- The Board will begin reviewing grant requests in October.
- Organizations being considered for funding will be notified in November.
- Often, organizations in consideration are asked for additional information.
- Final grant decisions are generally made prior to December 31.
The Byerly Foundation was established in 1995 with the sale of The Byerly Hospital to Hospital Management Associates. The proceeds of that sale were put into a private foundation managed by a volunteer Board of Directors. The Foundation has been making grants for the Hartsville area since 1998. Richard Puffer is the executive director of The Foundation and the Chairman of the Board of Directors is Charles J. Hupfer. Other members of the Board include: David Blackmon, Jerry Cheatham, Rob Tiede, Steve Avant, Monty Bell, Brianna Douglas, Johnna Shirley, Barry Saunders, Alvin Heatley and Todd Shifflet.