Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Building Community for Public Good

This afternoon I was reading the Smart Communities blog and noticed a link that took me to a PDF discussion from the National Council on Citizenship on Civic Life after the election. It seems to me this booklet would make an excellent text for a "Community Conversation" on the question of where to we go from here in building community.

In line with what was in the Smart Communities blog, Rich Harwood is talking in his blog about the need for generating both Hope and Empathy as we go forward in what seem to be some of the darkest days (and I don't mean coming of winter) that many of us have seen. I am thinking it is always the right time to talk about community building and to discuss what we mean by the public good but we all know that the cocoons we have woven over the past several years are not going to unravel quickly. It is going to be the process of conversation that will help many emerge from these cocoons to answer the call of community. If any would like to get a conversation going with this booklet as a foundation, please let me know. I will help arrange!

1 comment: